* The dips are feeling heavy but good. I almost failed on the seventh rep on the third set. Typically at this point I would continue to add 5 lbs each workout and drop the reps down to five but the belt I am using is too small so I am going to try something different next workout.
Joe Weider has been branded as the father of modern bodybuilder similar to how Lou Ferrigno has been branded as the incredible hulk.
Weider’s principle of giants sets have been used by giants like Ferrigno who used giants sets in the off-season performing four or more exercises back-to-back without taking any rest.
Giants sets are a high intensity technique that can be applied to a workout in many ways. Any combination of exercises can be performed back-to-back to create a giant set.
In practice giants sets are typically used to train a specific area such as upper body, lower body, shoulders, arms, or abdominal muscles. The exercises chosen and the order they are performed in doesn’t matter. For example, if doing a giant set for your chest your might start with isolation exercise like the dumbbell flyes first and finish with presses.
The next workout you might want to reverse order or switch in different exercises. The combinations don’t matter. What is important is that you are able to complete the entire giant set without stopping, rest for 2 to 3 minutes, and then repeat 3 or 4 times.
Standing Shoulder Press (130 lbs), 4 sets x 5 reps
Close-grip Bench Press (140 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
* The dips felt much easier today compared to my last training session. I only had a small amount of difficulty completing the seventh rep on the last set. I believe the partial rep bench presses have dramatically improved my strength in the top portion of the movement in a short period of time.
Cheating Barbell Curl*** (115 lbs), 3 sets x 7 reps
* Pulling 40 lbs this morning was easy. I was tired today and did chins before I even ate breakfast. I am not sure why I am gaining so fast on my biceps. I have never missed a weight increase with the chin-up. I started with 5 lbs and have increased 2.5 lbs every workout religiously without fail.
** 195 lbs in the barbell row is a bit too heavy right now. I enjoy lifting it but I can’t pull the bar to my chest the last few reps each set. I am going to have to drop down to set of 5 reps in order to go heavier. The goal is to keep progressing even if I need to cut down to 3 rep sets until I reach my short term goal with this exercise of being able to handle 225 lbs on a regular basis.
*** I am cheating way too much in the barbell curl with this weight to properly call it a barbell curl. My biceps are still engorged with blood after competing all sets and reps so I am going to continue adding weight each workout until I can on longer curl the weight no matter how much I cheat eventually dropping down to sets of 3 repetitions. I can already curl my body weight for a single repetition so my short term goal is to be able to handle my body weight in the curl for sets of 3.
Standing Shoulder Press* (125 lbs), 3 sets x 7 reps
Close-grip Bench Press** (140 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
* I completed two additional sets using 95 lbs focusing on locking out hard in the top position. I seem to have difficulty with locking out. I believe this resulted from me being lazy in the past and not fully locking out on each repetition. Unfortunately, this has also lead to a plateau in my bench press were I couldn’t get past 300 lbs.
** I only did eleven reps on the second set as my triceps were on fire plus I didn’t have a spotter.
* Pulling 355 lbs today was easy. I was really sore today but my energy level seem to be very high. Everything felt light today except the barbell rows. I believe that 3 sets for me is enough right now. Adding the additional sets the last workout was too much for the weight I am trying to pull.