- Chin-ups (BW=159 lbs + 67.5 lbs), 3 sets x 3 reps
I am currently fighting a cold so this is the second time this week I crapped out on my training. However, I felt it was important to ensure that I performed at least one compound exercise. Fortunately chins, if performed with a high enough intensity, stress both the back and biceps enough that today’s effort can be considered a workout.
- Chin-ups* (BW=157 lbs), 40 lbs Backpack, 3 sets x 8 reps
* There seems to be a huge difference in suspending weight from your waist in a deadhang position compared to having the weight in a backpack. I could only do 8 reps with a backpack compared to the sets of 12 reps I was able to do the previous workout with the weight in a deadhang position.
- Chin-ups* (BW=157 lbs + 40 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Barbell Row (180 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Conventional Deadlift (205 lbs, 275 lbs, 325 lbs, 375 lbs**), singles
- Shrugs (250 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Cheating Barbell Curl (135 lbs), 5 sets x 3 reps
* I was incredibly surprised that I could handle 40 lbs for 2 sets of 12 reps. The last time I performed sets of 12 repetitions I was only using 25 lbs. This also is a sub maximal effort. I am confident that I could have done 15 reps each set with a proper performance routine and no outside distractions.
** I failed on the 375 lbs deadlift attempt. I good news is that my body holds out. I strained against the weight for about 10 full seconds. It almost felt as if it was about to break free from the ground. I pulled a 370 lbs rack deadlift the last time I pulled. I am not sure which direction to take the next workout. Perhaps I will trying pulling a more friendly 345 lbs and work my way up from there.
- Weighted Dips (BW=157 lbs), 85 lbs x 15 reps, 145 lbs x 5 reps, 160 lbs x 2 reps
- Partial Rep Bench Press (245 lbs), 4 sets x 5 reps
- Seated Shoulder Press* (120 lbs), 3 sets x 7 reps
- Close-grip Bench Press (160 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
* The seated shoulder press is much easier then the standing shoulder or military press. I switched to seated shoulder press as it will be much easier to progress to a heavier weight. This will allow me to develop my front delt to a greater extent which is required for bodybuilding.
- Chin-ups* (BW=159 lbs + 62.5 lbs), 3 sets x 5 reps
- Barbell Row (170 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Shrugs (240 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Cheating Barbell Curl (125 lbs), 5 sets x 3 reps
* I could do 5 reps on the first set but only 4 and then 3 on the last two sets. I am not frustrated with this failure as it is the first. I have gained almost 10 lbs in the last week since the contest. If it wasn’t for the weight gain I might have had no difficulty with the increase in resistance. I an going to drop my rep range down to 3 and continue adding 2.5 lbs each workout as normal. My goal is to hit 100 lbs so I would rather ensure I end up being able to pull 100 lbs for reps before focusing on any muscular endurance at this point.
- Weighted Dips* (BW=158 lbs + 75 lbs), 2 sets x 15 reps
- Partial Rep Bench Press (235 lbs), 4 sets x 5 reps
- Shoulder Press (110 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Close-grip Bench Press (150 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
* This is the first time I have used a backpack. The world record is set with with the weight in a backpack. I did 17 reps on the second set. I believe if I was fired up and wasn’t so sore I could have done 2 sets of 20 reps.