- Weighted Chin-up* (bodyweight = 160 lbs)
- 70 lbs, 3 sets x 3 reps
- Conventional Deadlift
- 275 lbs x 1 rep
- 335 lbs x 1 rep
- Barbell Row
- 185 lbs, 2 sets x 12 reps
- Barbell Shrug
- 255 lbs, 2 sets x 12 reps
- Barbell Curl
- 95 lbs, 2 sets x 12 reps
* I am using a kick to help reach my chin to the bar on the third rep of the last two sets. Kicking to cheat in the chin-up is similar to using body motion to cheat during the barbell curl or any other rowing motion.
- Chin-ups (BW=159 lbs + 67.5 lbs), 3 sets x 3 reps
I am currently fighting a cold so this is the second time this week I crapped out on my training. However, I felt it was important to ensure that I performed at least one compound exercise. Fortunately chins, if performed with a high enough intensity, stress both the back and biceps enough that today’s effort can be considered a workout.
- Weighted Dips (BW=159 lbs + 110 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Partial Rep Bench Press (255 lbs), 4 sets x 5 reps
- Seated Shoulder Press (140 lbs), 3 sets x 7 reps
- Standing Shoulder Press (115 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Front Lateral Raises (10 lbs), 80 reps in one minute
- Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extension (30 lbs), 3 sets x 7 reps
- Chin-ups* (BW=157 lbs), 40 lbs Backpack, 3 sets x 8 reps
* There seems to be a huge difference in suspending weight from your waist in a deadhang position compared to having the weight in a backpack. I could only do 8 reps with a backpack compared to the sets of 12 reps I was able to do the previous workout with the weight in a deadhang position.
- Weighted Dips (BW=156 lbs + 90 lbs), 2 sets x 15 reps
- Partial Rep Bench Press (250 lbs), 4 sets x 5 reps
- Seated Shoulder Press (135 lbs), 3 sets x 7 reps
- Front Lateral Raises (8 lbs), 80 reps in one minute
- Weighted Dips (BW=156 lbs), 40 lbs Backpack, 1 set x 30 reps
- Chin-ups* (BW=157 lbs + 40 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Barbell Row (180 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Conventional Deadlift (205 lbs, 275 lbs, 325 lbs, 375 lbs**), singles
- Shrugs (250 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Cheating Barbell Curl (135 lbs), 5 sets x 3 reps
* I was incredibly surprised that I could handle 40 lbs for 2 sets of 12 reps. The last time I performed sets of 12 repetitions I was only using 25 lbs. This also is a sub maximal effort. I am confident that I could have done 15 reps each set with a proper performance routine and no outside distractions.
** I failed on the 375 lbs deadlift attempt. I good news is that my body holds out. I strained against the weight for about 10 full seconds. It almost felt as if it was about to break free from the ground. I pulled a 370 lbs rack deadlift the last time I pulled. I am not sure which direction to take the next workout. Perhaps I will trying pulling a more friendly 345 lbs and work my way up from there.
- Weighted Dips (BW=157 lbs), 85 lbs x 15 reps, 145 lbs x 5 reps, 160 lbs x 2 reps
- Partial Rep Bench Press (245 lbs), 4 sets x 5 reps
- Seated Shoulder Press* (120 lbs), 3 sets x 7 reps
- Close-grip Bench Press (160 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
* The seated shoulder press is much easier then the standing shoulder or military press. I switched to seated shoulder press as it will be much easier to progress to a heavier weight. This will allow me to develop my front delt to a greater extent which is required for bodybuilding.
- Wide-grip Hammer Chin-ups (BW=158 lbs + 65 lbs), 5 sets x 3 reps
- Barbell Row (175 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Rack Deadlift (205 lbs, 275 lbs, 325 lbs, 370 lbs), singles
- Shrugs (245 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Cheating Barbell Curl (130 lbs), 5 sets x 3 reps