- Chin-ups* (BW=157 lbs), 40 lbs Backpack, 3 sets x 8 reps
* There seems to be a huge difference in suspending weight from your waist in a deadhang position compared to having the weight in a backpack. I could only do 8 reps with a backpack compared to the sets of 12 reps I was able to do the previous workout with the weight in a deadhang position.
- Chin-ups* (BW=157 lbs + 40 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Barbell Row (180 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Conventional Deadlift (205 lbs, 275 lbs, 325 lbs, 375 lbs**), singles
- Shrugs (250 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Cheating Barbell Curl (135 lbs), 5 sets x 3 reps
* I was incredibly surprised that I could handle 40 lbs for 2 sets of 12 reps. The last time I performed sets of 12 repetitions I was only using 25 lbs. This also is a sub maximal effort. I am confident that I could have done 15 reps each set with a proper performance routine and no outside distractions.
** I failed on the 375 lbs deadlift attempt. I good news is that my body holds out. I strained against the weight for about 10 full seconds. It almost felt as if it was about to break free from the ground. I pulled a 370 lbs rack deadlift the last time I pulled. I am not sure which direction to take the next workout. Perhaps I will trying pulling a more friendly 345 lbs and work my way up from there.
- Chin-ups* (BW=159 lbs + 62.5 lbs), 3 sets x 5 reps
- Barbell Row (170 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Shrugs (240 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Cheating Barbell Curl (125 lbs), 5 sets x 3 reps
* I could do 5 reps on the first set but only 4 and then 3 on the last two sets. I am not frustrated with this failure as it is the first. I have gained almost 10 lbs in the last week since the contest. If it wasn’t for the weight gain I might have had no difficulty with the increase in resistance. I an going to drop my rep range down to 3 and continue adding 2.5 lbs each workout as normal. My goal is to hit 100 lbs so I would rather ensure I end up being able to pull 100 lbs for reps before focusing on any muscular endurance at this point.
- Chin-ups* (BW=156 lbs + 60 lbs), 3 sets x 5 reps
- Barbell Row (165 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Rack Deadlift** (205 lbs, 275 lbs, 370 lbs), singles
- Shrugs (235 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
- Barbell Curl (90 lbs), 2 sets x 12 reps
* I wore my headphones on the first set which got in the way. As a result I had difficulty on the first set. The second set was easier however I will know to never were headphones again. I also gained a large amount of weight since competing in the Fall Classic this past weekend. I am eating sodium again and my body has quickly retained water. I also woke up around 4 AM this morning and had my first coffee. Perhaps I should have slept more then 5 hours but I don’t think it is always necessary to have rest in order for your body to perform.
** Failed on the 370 lbs. I pulled hard for at least three full seconds. The weight felt almost as if it was about to give. The good news is that I can pull like this without a weight lifting belt three times a week and never have any back problems. In fact I believe that it is this kind of regular pulling that keeps my back strong and injury free.